The time associated with your ticket purchase is your ENTRY time. You may stay until closing, but must enter within 15 minutes of your entry time.
Welcome back to Mitchell Lake Audubon Center! Due to the continued pandemic, we are limiting the number of people allowed per day onsite to reduce the chances of spreading COVID-19. Please note, Center Membership does NOT include National Audubon Society, Bexar Audubon Society, or San Antonio Audubon Society members unless you are ALSO a member of Mitchell Lake.
We ask you to follow these general guidelines when visiting and thank you, in advance, for your understanding and cooperation:
- Please postpone your visit if you are sick or believe you may have been exposed to the Covid-19 virus.
- Masks are required during your visit when checking in at the Visitor Center and when within 6 feet of others. We encourage guests to wear a face mask outside on the center grounds at all times, but especially when you cannot social distance.
- Please remain in your car whenever possible and follow directional signage.
- Please observe social distancing whenever possible.
- Please bring with you a filled water bottle, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, and bug repellent. We encourgage you to NOT share these items with others.
- There are only outdoor bathrooms available at the Education Pavilion. There is NO ACCESS to the Leeper House Visitor Center or indoor bathrooms.
- Please note, many of the ponds are dry due to drought conditions.
When you pull up to the gate, it will be CLOSED. Please press the button labeled "PUSH" on the driver's side and we will ask for your first and last name. Use the name provided on the tickets to confirm your identity, and we will open the gate.
Proceed to the Leeper House Visitor Center and have ONE person check in at the top of the ramp. There will be NO access to the building.
*** MEMBERS ENTER THE DISCOUNT CODE SENT VIA EMAIL AT CHECKOUT.***
Contact us at [email protected] if you not recieve an email by the 20th of the month prior.
By purchasing a ticket, you agree to the following rules and guidelines which have been revised post-COVID. Please read thoroughly. Failure to comply with these guidelines may result in visitors being asked to leave the property.
1. MAPS: There is limited availablity of paper trail maps during the pandemic; a downloadable version of our most recent trail map is available at the bottom of this page.
2. WEATHER CLOSINGS: In the event of severe weather, trails will be closed. Please provide an e-mail address with your ticket purchase to receive notification of tickets canceled due to trail conditions.
3. DOGS: Dogs are not permitted on the Mitchell Lake Audubon Center property. Trained service dogs are welcome and you must notify staff prior to arrival. Emotional support and companion animals do not meet the definition of a service animal and do not have the same access rights.
4. BICYCLES: Bicycles on trails are not permitted.
DOGS and BIKES are permitted on the City of San Antonuo Howard Peak Greenway Trail at the Mitchell Lake Trailhead. More information can be found at this link.
5. PARKING: Parking is on property. Please note that the gate will be closed and locked at 12:00pm. All non-staff vehicles must exit the property by 12:00pm.
6. AREAS CLOSED: The following areas will remain closed until further notice: all indoor access (including restrooms and gift shop).
7. TICKETS: The number of visitors permitted each day is strictly limited due to COVID-19. No admittance is permitted without an advance ticket purchase. You must have a ticket for each person in your group, including children and infants. In compliance with current public health restrictions, the number of tickets available during each timeslot is capped at ten. Your group size is limited by the number of tickets available during your desired entry time. We are unable to increase the number of available tickets and will not grant entry to anyone who does not have a ticket.
8. FACE MASKS REQUIRED: Visitors must wear face masks during the check-in process and when passing others on trails. Visitors are expected to social distance by at least six feet from those not in their group. When not possible to social distance, visitors are expected to wear masks when in close proximity to others not in their group, as well as when interacting with Audubon staff or volunteers. Visitors are encouraged to stay in their vehicles to have the safest visit.
9. KEEP IT CLEAN: Leave No Trace principles must be followed while on property. Pack out what you pack in. Leave nothing but footprints.
10. PERSONAL SAFETY: Please be mindful of your personal health and safety, especially during extreme temperatures. With all indoor areas closed to the public, air-conditioned space is not available. Bring sufficient water for your hike and dress appropriately. Water fountains are available for refilling water bottles only- not for indivudal use.
If you experience an emergency while on Audubon property, first call 911 and then call the center at 210.628.1639 to alert us that emergency vehicles are expected.
11. COVID-19 SAFETY: Anyone who is feeling unwell or who has had contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 should stay at home until the risk for the spread of infection has passed. However, no public activity can be 100 percent safe. By accessing any Audubon property, you accept the risk that you may come into contact with pathogens, including the COVID-19 virus. Older adults and people of any age with severe underlying medical conditions may be at higher risk for developing serious complications from COVID-19. If you are in an elevated risk category, please consider visiting at a later date, when it is safer to do so.
12. RELEASE OF LIABILITY: By reserving a ticket, you agree that you and your guests are visiting Mitchell Lake Audubon Center at your own risk and acknowledge that Audubon has made no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, regarding the safety of its property with respect to COVID-19 or other pathogens. You and your guests expressly release and hold harmless Audubon and its officers, directors, employees, agents, licensees, successors and assigns from and for any and all claims, demands, actions and causes of action whatsoever for any loss, damage or injury to person or to property suffered or incurred in connection with visiting Audubon property. This release shall be binding upon you, your heirs, next of kin, executors, administrators and assigns.
THANK YOU for your adherence to these restrictions as we make an effort to manage the impacts of COVID-19.
Any access to Mitchell Lake Audubon Center without a reservation and in violation of these rules is considered criminal trespassing and may be prosecuted as such.